Sunday, August 10, 2008

Online Logging FTW


I was just reading Sheeri’s post Why You Want to Switch to MySQL 5.1, and my favorite 5.1 feature jumped out at me.

Online, table-based logging.


It doesn’t get a lot of press, which is sad, because it’s hella useful. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve showed up to a client’s site to help with performance tuning, started with “well, let’s look at the slow log” and (as I’m sure we all know) been foiled by the fact that they don’t have it on and can’t do a server restart. I was even at a client a couple of weeks ago where they were actually using the CSV engine support of this… although I’d never really found that all that interesting myself.


Online logging. It’ll make all the ($gender_of_sexual_preference) love you!


..


Complete Story

0 comments:

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.
ILoveTux - howtos and news | About | Contact | TOS | Policy